Thursday, August 2, 2007

Dreading

I dread writing the entry about #8 , Clara, because:

a) it still hurts
b) what next?

What next? What next? What next?

1. Get better
2. Move
3. Find a job
4. Live
5. Fall in love

1. Requires a positive attitude, patience, faith in medication, help, determination, love.

2. I'm sick of The City. It's home and I will always have a deep connection to this place, but I need a change - badly. It's in the works, it's the one thing that gives me some sort of hope because I plan on moving to a bigger city with better opportunities. I have friends and family in The Big City, which is reassuring.

3. I could look for a job now but I'm not in a very good state. It's hard to explain depression to someone who's never lived it. There's a big difference between feeling depressed, and going through depression. Depression is a disease, and its cure isn't the same for every body. What works for some won't work for others. Right now I'm trying to find the right combination for myself, and I am getting better, but until I absolutely rid myself of depression will I be able to seriously start looking for a job and conceive a professional future for myself. I've relapsed four times in the past by speeding the process, and therefore never quite curing my state. I hope that by dealing with it now it will refrain me from snapping at 35 or 40, with possibly a wife and kids. At least right now I'm only harming myself.

4. "I'm not living, I'm killing time" to quote Thom Yorke. I live fragments of life, but every time I go out and try the live, I end up hurting even more the next morning. It's hard to explain. I'm slowly reacquainting myself with the things that once made me happy, such as writing, seeing friends, watching movies... but I'm still struggling to enjoy those things. I want to enjoy life, and I want to follow my bliss, but I'm just not sure where that bliss lies right now.

5. I can't skip 1,2,3 and 4 and go straight to 5, it would give me a false sense of security and satisfaction. I long for someone's touch, for someone's love, for someone's presence, but I have to be able to do things for myself before I start doing things for others. Once I'm able to feel good about my own life, will I be able to bring somebody else into it. That being said I could use some company right now. I really long a woman's touch, especially when she lies to me next in bed, and caresses my back spontaneously in a very tender and soft manner. I think I love nothing more in the world than that. Clara did it one night, and I mistakenly fell in love that very moment.

ps: chatted a bit with potential #9 today, but I just feel too weird about seeing her and I think she's having second thoughts as well. I think I can live without experiencing rebound sex, I doubt it will make me feel much better anyway.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

While I haven't suffered through depression I went through a really rough/dark period last year. Throw in eternal confusion about where/what I'm supposed to be and it leads to one confused little cookie. As a friend once told me: "Baby steps. Take a baby step then another then another." It doesn't matter the speed of the journey just that you take that first baby step. A year ago I never would've dared to take a trip on my own...even if it's just an hour's flight away and for the weekend. But here I am...contemplating my wardrobe.

It seems you're taking those steps just by making a plan.

And the rebound sex probably isn't wise and it's good you've recognized that. It will probably only exacerbate your depression and knock you down. And that just won't do!

Keep on chuggin', babe. You'll get there.

B. said...

Thanks for the kind words. My sister told me the same thing: baby steps. It's what I'm trying to do, and for the most part it's working, but I have moments where I get down and feel discouraged again. But hanging in there.

Probably right about the rebound sex. I'm not too worried about the consequences it will have on my morale, but it won't bring any answers really.

Ordinary Girl said...

It seems to me that you're actually doing really well, and have already taken many steps. And having an awareness of where you're at, and where you want to be is very positive.

And surprisingly, blogging helps!!